Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Why do I do this?

My mantra for the day: Stop comparing yourself to others!

I always do that! I'm forever comparing myself to everyone around me, and I always, always think I come up short. It's destructive, ridiculous, and just plain unnecessary. I'm not here to compare myself to everyone else in the world. There will always be someone better at ______ than I am. But so what? Why should that matter so much? Why can't I just be happy with my talent level and skills? ARRRGH. I get so frustrated with myself because I know that I'm on a downward spiral, and that it's not healthy. Most days I'm okay. Most days I can catch myself before I get all self-pitying and sad. But the fact that my thoughts drift that way is just one indicator of how much I let sin mess me up.

I doubt I'll ever be able to rid myself of these comparisons. They catch me by surprise, but that's no excuse. I do have faith that by the grace of God I'll be able to shrug off those negative ideas. I hope that one day I'll be able to see myself like He sees me, as His creation-a masterpiece in progress.

No comments: