Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"Like 90210 without the Beverly Hills"

I'm done with this college town, with its juvenile drama. Honestly, you'd think that kids would have learned to talk through their issues by the time they hit college, but time after time again I've found that isn't the case here. Maybe it's that we're not maturing as quick as we used to, but whatever the reason, I can't stand it anymore. I'm ready to be treated like an adult, not an unruly high schooler. College kids and their drama.

But whatever the reason, I'm tired of having to deal with other people's issues. I'm tired of having their problems of past neglect or trauma become my problems. I have my own baggage, but at least I acknowledge that it's there and work towards getting rid of it. Most of the girls I've had issues with--guys haven't really given me that much trouble--haven't done that, at least not out loud. (I am not counting the times girls have tearfully and emphatically stated that they were horrible people in an attempt to gain sympathy. Those times definitely don't count. Sad to say, that's happened with several of the girls I used to know...) They appeared to be in a state of denial, and that never works out well for anyone.

When faced with those types of people, I have always run. Always. Why? Dude, those gals were poisonous. No matter what I did, it was wrong. I could do no right, they always found fault. They were unhappy with themselves, and so they made me miserable too. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't fix it. So I gave up, endured, and as soon as I could be rid of them, I was.

Even though I've lost those relationships, I think I'm better for the loss. Hurting people hurt people. Until you deal with your baggage, you will always hurt those around you, damage your friendships, and run off those that you love. It's a constant process, dealing with baggage. But if I can do it, so can you. Now I can maintain healthy relationships with people--providing that those people aren't poisonous themselves. It's definitely worth the effort, pain, and hours of self-reflection.

No comments: