Friday, October 15, 2010

Country Living and Manual Labor

Today, the other volunteers and I-along with the Guthrie family-were in major festival set-up mode. We painted carnival-style games, along with various signs and bits of furniture. We scattered pumpkins and mums everywhere. We set out sixty hay bales. I've only moved a few bales of hay, ever. But I remembered enough to look semi-decent at it today. And let me tell you, I sure know how to move a hay bale now.

I felt like such a country bumpkin. I mean, I'm a country girl, but this was my first real taste of farm living. I rode in the back of a trailer, stood on the back of a tractor, fed some chickens, made baaing noises at sheep, shoved hay around (and climbed up into the hayloft), and loved on a Labrador Retriever named Angel. It was a very good day. I would love to live on a farm. It's manual labor, but it's fun! At least it is for animal lovers like me.

Anyway, the countdown to the festival has begun. Tomorrow I will be getting up at six-fifteen so that I can get ready and get breakfast before seven. I'll be running some games and just enjoying the day. But for now, I'm exhausted. I'll sleep good tonight, for sure.

No comments: