Thursday, October 14, 2010

Joshua's Hands

I didn't really think I'd be able to blog on this trip. I don't know why I thought that-most people do have the internet these days-but I did. When I got to the house I'll be staying in until Sunday, I thought for sure the 200+ year old plantation-style 5 bedroom house wouldn't have such a modern convenience as wireless. But it does. And I sit here in my attic bedroom on my laptop rapping away at the keys. This is bliss. If only I had a Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte right about now, then it would be absolute perfection.

This morning I left my college town on a weekday to head off into the farmlands of Northern VA to do some good in the world. I'm volunteering my time for the next four days to support the organization Joshua's Hands. It's an amazing organization that's run by the Guthrie family in honor of Joshua Guthrie, who was killed in a car accident. The driver was a drunken police officer. That's rough, man. Anyway, it's a great cause, and I get school CSER credit for my work here. (CSER=school mandated community service: aka "free labor").

Aside from the excitement of staying in a farmhouse on a working farm, today I helped get some things ready for the fall festival on Saturday. If you're in the area, be sure to drop by. Everything's free, and I mean that literally. You want lunch on Saturday? That's totally on us. No worries, man. I hope you like hot dogs.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wish i were there! I would love to stay in a 200 year old house and help with a fall festival. It sounds like you're having a blast!!