Wednesday, April 22, 2009

On the subject of happiness

What defines your happiness?

Are you happy because of circumstances? How about because of a certain person (or people)?

Well...I hate to break it to you, but if you place your happiness in circumstantial factors, you will be prone to the sway of emotional highs and lows forever. Life is a roller coaster of circumstances, and no matter what we do, we can't seem to keep things stable in our lives. The only thing certain in life is that everything will change.

So what do we do? How do we achieve this happiness that is so precious and rare? A type of happiness that transcends circumstance, that trumps even emotion itself?

That type of happiness is called joy. It isn't easily found, but it is highly prized and treasured. Joy cannot be found through earthly means. And I must admit...this is where I have failed.

I have failed, as I often do, at finding my happiness in Christ. It is only through Him that we can know joy, and it is only through His power that He gives it to us. I have placed the circumstances of my happiness on whether or not others are energetic and happy...instead of placing them on the very being of Christ.

In Christ, circumstances don't matter, for we know it will work out to a just and good end somehow.

In Christ, people can have bad days, and though we may feel concern, our own well-being doesn't suffer.

In Christ, people can worship in jail cells.

In Christ, people can live and die in hostile territory for the sake of spreading the Gospel.

In Christ is power.

And I know that. And I messed up again. So...as a refocuser, I am planning to spend some hardcore time with God tonight. He and I are gonna get reacquainted and catch up, and I'm going to take to heart the verses that my future SLD and a friend of mine have shared with me. They are stronger than I am right now...


No comments: